I just realized it has been a while since I wrote anything here. I was feeling pretty good (read: borderline arrogant) about myself when Goodreads told me how far ahead of schedule I am with my reading challenge. I am guessing that attitude is to blame, cos it pissed karma off.
I have picked up quite a few books over the last few weeks, but sadly, I haven’t finished any. Not that they weren’t good – they were all surprisingly good. But I felt I was only grazing their surface, and not really getting into them. I normally enter the world of the story through some kinda osmosis or something, so since that didn’t happen, I kept choosing a different book each night, and all that’s done is left a pile of unfinished books to be returned to at a later point. And return I will, because like I said, they were all very good.
I just feel like listing them all out here, maybe more for me than for the reader, but if you have read any of these, do let me know how you like/dislike them. The books I started, in no particular order are:
- The World According To Garp, John Irving
- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
- The Glass Palace, Amitav Ghosh
- Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Chocolat, Joanne Harris
- Invisible Monsters, Chuck Palahniuk
- The Devil’s Star, Jo Nesbo
- The English Patient, Michael Ondaatje
- Write Your Own Autobiography, Neil Patrick Harris
- Smoke and Mirrors, Neil Gaiman
- Good Omens, Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
- Narcopolis, Jeet Thayil
- Palace of Illusions, Chitra Divakaruni
- A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth
I spent my Valentine’s Day in a bookstore and I don’t know if I got overwhelmed by my growing TBR shelf, or if I was just really worried about Mike Ross’ trial to focus on books, but either way, this list is… funny. The read percentage varies from 5 pages to 1/3rd of the book, and I can assure you, they’re all worth reading.
Do you think I should take a mini break from books? Nahh, I didn’t think so either. Which one do you think I should finish first? Or should I just pick something else up entirely?